Skip to Main Content

My Dog Ate Gum: Is That Dangerous?

If you are worried because your dog might have eaten gum then this article will provide you will all the information you need to know and when to bring your dog to the River Hills Pet Care Hospital vets.

What Happens if a Dog Eats Gum?

If your dog has accidentally gotten into your candy stash and eaten your gum, you are probably wondering if this is an emergency or not.

Your dog's digestive system is different from humans and gum is not something they should be ingesting (we don't recommend humans try to ingest gum either). In a lot of cases, your dog will be perfectly fine after a piece of gum and will show no signs at all but there are cases where your dog can become very sick and need to see your Mankato vets.

One of the gum ingredients that is of great concern is if the gum contains xylitol which is toxic for dogs.

What is Xylitol?

  • Xylitol is a sugar alcohol, it is a kind of carbohydrate and does not contain alcohol.
  • Xylitol is a low-calorie sugar substitute.
  • Xylitol occurs naturally in small amounts in fruits and vegetables, trees, corncobs, and even the human body.
  • Xylitol is a common ingredient in many products, including sugar-free chewing gum and toothpaste. People also use xylitol as a tabletop sweetener or in baking.
  • Manufacturers use xylitol as a sugar substitute because its sweetness is similar to table sugar but with fewer calories.

Symptoms of Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs

The most common symptoms to watch out for after your dog has eaten some gum are:

  • Weakness
  • Stumbling
  • Tremors
  • Collapse
  • Seizures
  • Coma

How to Determine Whether it's an Emergency

If after eating your gum, your dog starts to become lethargy or weak, collapse or have trouble breathing, pale gums and vomiting or tremors or seizures it is time to bring your dog to your vet right away because these are signs of toxicity and that is an emergency.

Even if your dog is not exhibiting these symptoms it is a good idea to contact your vet to determine the next steps. They may want to monitor your dog as a precaution.

What if Dogs Ate Sugar-Free Gum Without Xylitol?

If your dog eats gum without xylitol, your dog may end up with an upset stomach, especially if they ate a lot of it. You still need to keep a close eye on your dog because gum without xylitol may not be toxic but it does have other potential side effects if eaten including an intestinal blockage. Symptoms of intestinal blockage in your dog can include:

  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Lack of appetite
  • Abdominal pain. 

Since dogs are so curious, you may want to switch to gum without Xylitol in the future to avoid any serious issues and hide any human treats.

What to Watch for in the First 30 Minutes to 1 Hour

You will need to watch your dog for about 24 hours after you discover that they have eaten your gum. The first 30 minutes to an hour is when the most serious symptoms will start to happen. The earlier you get your dog checked out by the vet the better chance your dog will not have any serious complications. 

It usually takes anywhere from 10-24 hours for something to pass through your dog's digestive system. Gum is almost impossible for the body to break down, so it must pass through your dog's system if swallowed. 

If your dog has eaten a lot of gum, it can cause a blockage in your dog's intestines, keeping other food from passing. This is more likely to happen if your dog also consumes the gum's wrapper or packaging. It could take a few days for the signs of a blockage to present themselves.

Symptoms of a blockage can include vomiting, abdominal tenderness, constipation, lack of appetite, or unusual behavior, so it can be hard to tell if your dog is sick or has a blockage. If your vet suspects a blockage, X-rays will be needed to determine the extent of the issue. The gum can become stuck and if that happens surgery is often required. 

If you notice the gum coming out of your dog's bum, do not attempt to pull it out. This could cause serious damage to your dog's intestinal tract. Take your dog to a vet where the object can be removed safely.

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.

Are you worried that your dog has eaten something they shouldn't have? Contact our Mankato vets, for more information. 

New Patients Welcome

River Hills Pet Care Hospital is accepting new patients! Our experienced vets are passionate about the health of Mankato companion animals. Get in touch today to book your pet's first appointment.

Contact Us

507-388-4500 Contact